26 April 2013

silkscreen student

I signed up for a silkscreen course this spring at Otis, because I'd never been taught how to do it & only had various at-best-semi-successful projects through the years on the basis of self-taught winging-it. I'm super glad I took the class--it really opened printing doors for me & I even just ordered a washout sink for the garage (we're re-plumbing the back house, so I thought: why not throw that in too). I had some print ideas before I started, but decided to chuck 'em & experiment with non-computer processes such as rubylith & painting directly on negatives. Here are a few of the prints I made--I'm hoping to get some of them up into my etsy shop soon, as prints & wrapping paper...

I cut these birds (and the script on the top print) out of rubylith (sorry the only photo I have of the prints are behind a bird cupcake!)



then I did a series of prints using lines I'd painted directly on negatives: 




and finally I made a repeating pattern out of a kind of random pile of hand-cut circles, scotch taped down onto the screen before I exposed it: 




No comments: