09 September 2009

produce!

the Big New Project this spring was the produce calendar. It was a request from my friend Gina, who wanted a calendar that let her know what was in season, and I took it one step further by including seasonal planting lists too. It required library trips, a close reading of the county agricultural extension website, and a lot of proofreading from friends and family. I finished the first round of calendars the *morning* of Renegade LA, and have since done a round of reprinting. I've also had several requests for bay area and northwest versions, so they are in the works (this one is for 'the Southland'--southern California). Each month has a linocut of a seasonal fruit or vegetable, and the calendar is perpetual, with space to keep notes by each date. I imagine it as a garden diary, to keep track of when you planted & harvested, but it could also be used as a birthday calendar...





16 comments:

Rachel said...

I just have to tell you that I absolutely love this calendar. It makes me happy every single day, because it's so beautiful and so clearly made with love. Thank you!

Amelia said...

I found your calendar on Etsy through a meandering paper search. Holy cow! It is beautiful, as are the rest of your designs. Your work stands out in the world of letterpress, so good job! Now, when does the North East calendar come out?

Jenny said...

what a wonderful idea! Can I put in a request for the Southeast?

Nor said...

thanks for the props--I've had several southeast requests (not to mention other portions of the east coast) so hopefully someday, before too long!

stewart and james said...

oops - just saw the other Southeast requests... ;)

stewart and james said...

oh how i wish you did one of these for the Southeastern United States. My sister would die!

xx
-arre

shanna said...

i dig it!

Chocolate and Steel said...

Yay! I'm sure you already saw this but you are featured in the LA Times:)

http://www.latimes.com/features/home/la-hm-handmadeholiday-pictures,0,1896524.photogallery

Congrats. Btw, I love my new calendar.

Helena said...

I just think its so amazingly good! Your prints just make me think of cinnamonrolls, my moms kitchen, flower on my nose after baking...I dont know why - i just get happily nostalgic. Have to buy one!

Will mention you on my blogg if that is ok....

Nor said...

Thanks Helena (and everyone else!). I hope the calendar, in its perpetual-ness, can be as timeless & well-used as a good kitchen...

Unknown said...

If you make a midwest one I promise to buy in bulk. Don't neglect the midwest!

Nor said...

just for demographic research, which part of the midwest are you in? i'm working on it! but need to define my 'midwest' parameters...

Unknown said...

Here's a request for the Mid-Atlantic!! MD, DE, PA, VA, D.C.... I'd buy in bulk too!!! Love the idea!!

Dee said...

I just read about your produce calendar for 2011 Bay Area in Jan 2011 Sunset magazine. How can i order one ASAP?

Nor said...

Hi Dee--
Reform School is selling them for me at the moment (I'm out of town) and their website is: www.reformschoolrules.com
thanks!
Elinor

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to send you a note, that this is a fantastic idea! It is an adorable design, and a great gift idea. I have bought it for a few clients, and I actually am going to try to pimp it out on my website later this week (www.offyourplatesf.com)! :) SO fabulous!