03 May 2015

Sew LA workshop

I'm teaching a block-printing workshop at Sew LA June 6th, and prepping for it has been *so much fun*. It will be my basic block-carving, printing & pattern design class, but given that it is at a sewing store, the emphasis will be on printing on fabric, and on the methods of fabric pattern design. 

Carving small stamps is an amazing way to fiddle with pattern-making. It's probably not the most efficient way to print large swaths of pattern, but for small projects, it's VERY rewarding & is a loose way of experimenting with all the possible ways one can turn a simple image into a repeated pattern. I'm happy enough with how some of these experiments played out that I'm planning on transforming them into silkscreens for some short-run Krank Press sewing projects.  

Alex took photos of me at work, and I've added a few iphone photos to the mix, as well:













No comments: